5 MOST Commonly Made English Mistakes

12 Responses

English is the number one language of the world with over 50% of the world's population speaking the English language. But everything in this world has at least some blots. Same is the case for English. Here are some of the greatest mistakes which people make in their English usage....


  1. Mistake - "Anyways, blah blah blah..."
    Correction - "Anyway, blah blah blah..."
    I'm seeing this everywhere! I just don't know what has happened to these people, everyone seems to be using 'Anyways'.


  2. Mistake - There are too many SUV's parked in there.
    Correction - There are too many SUVs parked in there.
    It seems to be very minor mistake but has disastrous effects sometimes as the meanings completely change. The letter 's' is used singly for plurals and with an apostrophe to show belongingness.


  3. Mistake - The incorrect usage of "F*** off!"
    Correction - This statement is used only for those with whom you have sex. In the Oxford dictionary, the meaning is given as 'Go away', which is incomplete. You tell your f*** to go away. It's like saying "Be off with you" to your f***.


  4. Mistake - "Its a nice day."
    Correction - Well, the difference between "Its" and "It's" is that, "Its" shows possessiveness, while "It's" is the short form of "It is", just like "what's" and "let's".


  5. Mistake - "I'll buy an ice-cream"
    Correction - "I'll buy an ice cream.
    Yes, the Oxford dicitonary has knocked off all the hyphens from its entries in the latest editions. Well, this is our mistake as we didn't use it frequently.For more click here.


So, do you make these mistakes? Then you better improve yourself.....Please leave your comments....

So did you like this article? Then why don't you show it some love?

12 Responses:

Karin W. on October 4, 2007 at 12:39 PM

I´m a Swedish speaking person.
I make mistakes writing in English. That´s for sure.
I always check my spelling.
I´m glad that I now know why the hyphens have disappeared. My old English Dictionary has them.

Visor on October 4, 2007 at 11:08 PM

I just highlighted these mistakes as they are, today, found in abundance....

Jack Payne on October 5, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Strange bendings of the vernacular between British and American--and even Indian versions.

As a writer I generally ignore all variations, and stick with silly old American slang. At its worst, at least it can be universally understood.

Anonymous on October 8, 2007 at 9:05 PM

I see those mistakes quite frequently. What amazes me is the how frequently each of those mistakes occur in newspapers.

Visor on October 10, 2007 at 2:31 AM

hehe..you are right..I blink when I see those mistakes in newspapers..

Wendy's OBA Blog Tips Tricks on October 15, 2007 at 1:24 PM

I am totally impressed with your comprehension of the English language
You made me chuckle.

Were you aware that if use WordPerfect and type in words like honour (honor) and lots of others it will show them up as spelling errors Which they aren't depending on which English your are using.

Nice work
Wendy
http://wensonlinebusiness.wordpress.com/

Serena on October 20, 2007 at 7:19 AM

I do have a "habit" to seeing grammar or spelling mistakes GLARE at me. I cringe when I made spelling mistakes while typing. In a blog post, I would edit it over and over again if the grammar doesn't sound right. Of course the spell checker would have done its job first. But thanks for sharing the point about Oxford dictionary and hyphens.

Unknown on October 24, 2007 at 9:32 AM

The f*** off bit isnt Oxfords way, its a word we can use practically in any form.

Libertine on January 20, 2008 at 2:03 PM

The mistakes I love to hate are:

1. "alot"

2. Teen speak, as in "ur" for "your".

3. Homophone mistakes that cannot be caught by spell checker, because they are mistakes of context, not misspellings, per se:
a. There/they're/their
b. Your/you're
c. Where/we're/were

These seem to be the most common of this type of mistake.

4. This isn't actually a grammatical mistake, but I hate when the writing style is too "cutesy". For instance, I know a blogger who writes about her adult and middle-school children and always, without exception, refers to them as "cubs". She never refers to them as children, kids, or by name. It's enough to make me want to tear my hair out.

I have more grammar peeves, but I'll not take up any more of your comment box.

Cine Masala on June 25, 2008 at 4:27 AM

You've a nicely done site with lots of effort and good updates. I would like to welcome you to submit your stories to www.surfurls.com and get that extra one way traffic to your site.

Jem on July 20, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Hai yours is a superb blog
well arranged

Can you please tell me how did you blog posts in to catagory
And how is the home page is done so beautiful i mean the all catagories are shown as blocks in home page

Waiting for ur reply
my email id is jem05_jos@yahoo.co.in

Unknown on February 3, 2009 at 9:01 AM

you'res is a strange world too live in if them are the most five top English miss takes.

A world off American school girls whom all eat ice creams in there boyfriends trucks!

:)

ss_blog_claim=eecafee17d12f07f9c2ec7144ece136ess_blog_claim=eecafee17d12f07f9c2ec7144ece136e